Saturday, May 23, 2009

First week -- DONE

So this week started out pretty slow but did not continue in that manner...

After Monday I was excited to get started on some things and begin to gather the information I need to work on some of my ideas. Tuesday was hellishly slow. The main projects they wanted me to start on as they were highest priority, just weren't ready to be handed off. So I had to wait for things to be put together and for the IT woman to come show me what exactly to do. This job is not the greatest, or most fun task, but it's absolutely important. Basically the house was re-scaled. The price points were examined and seats that were partial view were not all priced appropriately, AND they added a Super Premium price point.  SO...the diagram of the house needs to be recolored so that patrons online can look and see what seat they're in and what the price point is in case it's change. The PDF of the house is not designed well, so I have to use Photoshop and color in each seat individually.......yep, super-fun. But it'll get done on Tuesday so no biggie.

Other than that I'm getting excited about some of the PR-type things I'm working on. I had talked to my supervisor about working on some facebook initiatives and writing up a section of a marketing plan that they could then use, or choose to partially use or whatever. When I asked to see their current plan....they don't have one. I was a little shocked that a nearly $9 Million organization doesn't have a written Marketing plan, but they appear to do ok without one. I did get to see the strategic plan. It was three pages and consisted mostly of end goals but no evaluation or objectives or action plans.

I started talking with the Communications Manager on Wednesday about the facebook pages (they have 3) and mentioned to him my discussion with our boss of writing up a plan of some kind and his eyes lit up. 

On Thursday I was invited to sit in on a meeting at a suburban Starbucks to talk with the production company about our ideas for a TV spot for the upcoming season. The basic idea involved having a particular male company member singing in the shower. We spent about an hour brainstorming ideas, most were hilarious (not inappropriate, but hysterical and just pushing the line a bit). There was not a single part of that conversation though that would have happened in Utah, and it made me laugh, a lot. Then on Friday afternoon, on my my co-workers says "It's quiet today. Wy aren't we drinking?" She then went and got a bottle of wine from the fridge and we partook in some libations. Those were my two "you're not in Utah anymore" moments of the week.

Outside of work, I've also been busy. I went to see Kushner's new "the intelligent homosexual...." at the Guthrie Thurs. with Sweeney. It was pretty good, interesting cast, and LONG! We're talking 3.5 hours here.

OK that was long and a bit detailed. Hopefully the next week will afford a bit more time for more updates and not just one huge one.

No comments:

Post a Comment