Tuesday, June 9, 2009

Three Weeks In

I now feel, after three weeks, that I'm fully integrated to my work situation. I may not know all the details of everything yet, but I've gotten into the swing of it all. This place seems much more fast paced than I'm used to. And that's even in the off season now. It makes me curious what the production season is like. 
 While I'm working on a bigger project regarding social media initiatives and writing a formal plan for the organization, it seems like there's always something new coming across my desk. I'm stuffing, sealing, labeling, and mailing various things for different reasons, as well as near constant amounts of proofing at times. And while those sometimes feel menial and less significant I know they're really important and helpful, and they certainly NEED to be done. But I'm also connecting with various people inside and outside the organization. I've met with the board for the young professionals group. I'm writing a budget proposal for some of their advertising. I'm researching approaches to online marketing. Finally, I feel like I'm bringing a new set of lenses to this operation. 
So many of my coworkers have been there for a while, and they know how things work. It seems like every single day I have at least two moments where some alternate way of doing something crosses my mind. These ideas usually come from work experience at USF or St. Olaf, or often from classwork. I don't necessarily voice all of these ideas, but often times I think they are helpful so I try to mention them either in that moment, or later in a one-on-one setting. It's sometimes hard to tell if these are appreciated, but in some respects I don't really care. I think it's good to hear different ideas or approaches even if they're not utilized. 

So all in all I'm just really glad that I've got a internship where I feel like I can make a contribution. And that's all the rambling for today.

No comments:

Post a Comment